Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 A14LN C R5 GTT
A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:51 pm

Just purshased a new Boost Gauge for the car fill u's all in wen i receive it and try it out.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:33 am

Well Alan came over today and I fitted his new nearside driveshaft and offside wheel bearing.

I started with the OS wheel bearing. We soon discovered that the CV gaiter was knackered.

Ignoring that I got the hub carrier off. It was very loose and the bearing was dry, well dead it was.

The hub flange came out easily so I just had to grind the inner race off.

Finally after changing the disc I ground through it so I could knock it off. However there was a moment. If you lookin the picture, just below the old iunner race theres a small chunk of metal, that red hot bit of metal entered my jeans through a hole in the knee. That was nice.

This is the os CV gaiter

heres the other side of it

Its a replacement glue the 2 halves together CV gaiter effort, its slipt down the seam and ont he other side. Sadly its not been caught in time so it needs a new driveshaft here as well. The outer CV licks a lot and has a good 10 degrees of free movement when it then clicks.

The gearbox oil was then drained, very black, very old and the old knackered driveshaft removed. The new one went in without problems.

The suspension top mount didn't get off so easily, we were waiting aroudn for the bearing so I decided to have a go at doing the top mount bearings. The 13mm nut snapped in the top plate. So i left the other nut the now. We couldn't get a new top plate from GSF as they are the wrong type.

New gearbox oil went in and I discovered the middle front engine mount had worn away and it was also missing a bolt, I forgot to fit one so will do it next time I see him. It will rattle about but you can't hear it at the moment, but if its fixed properly theres no risk.

His intercooler had to be removed, its full of oil due to faulty turbo seals, it was also not mounted right. It was missing the lower rubber mounts, so I donated some from the blue primas rad, thats much better, that won't rattle now.

Hopefully the cars a lot quieter, Alan will tell us all when he gets on the pc.
A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:01 am

as u's all know wats bn done i can now say that the car is running a lot smoother and MOST of all a lot quieter (sp) and the geabox oil change has worked wonders as its now a lot smoother and easyer to change gear up+down. just need to get another driveshaft for the drivers side and that will do the job as u can c in the previous pic that gator is well dodgey and will need replaced anyway plus i need a new shock plate as one of the bolts hav snaped in it so i'll just get 2 of them "i'd rather have new parts than old parts"

Sorry Roger ment to get chris to take a photo at night for u, next time m8! Wink
A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:51 pm

Still not recived the boost gauge, but should receive it hopefully 2moro or Wed??????????????
A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:39 am

going 2 hav 2 get those strut top plates very soon as i heard it "banging and knocking" Shocked wen i was turning a corner at slow speed so will try and get them for early Jan 05!

just means the car is out of action for safety reasons, not just 4 me but 4 the car too. Sad
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:25 am

told you that might happen matey.

Get the cash together as I have none and we shall get em ordered in.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:56 am

went and ordered the top mounts today from renault and they have none so apparently they are making some new ones for us.

Should be about a weeks wait for them.
A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:40 pm

nice more shiny new bits.... Smile
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:54 pm

I picked up the nice new shiny top mount today. I will fit it tomorrow when Alan comes over.

Drivers side is no longer available which isn;t to good really.

Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:05 am

Alan came over today before Mark (red19rt) showed up.

This was to fit his nice new top mount, rubber and strut bearing.

We got off to a good start because he left the rubbers and bearings at his house. So we had to go back and get them.

Anyway once we had everything it was time to start.

I unscrewed the other non snapped top mount bolt and it never snapped, typical eh! Got the strut out, as you can see the top plate was a bit of a mess.

Eventually get the centre nut off the damper and take the bits out and apart. Strut bearing siezed solid.

The thing is there has been a terrible tragedy. The bearign is meant to turn. But if its siezed it won't. Instead the upper part of where the bearing mounts the cup has turned instead, now this is fixed, or its meant to be. Instead its split and torn

Not to clever I'm sure you will agree.

Nowhere had them in stock so I have to order them from renault and pick them up on wednesday.

But After belting it flat again and so on I put the strut back together.

nice eh!

All the flop has gone, its not perfect yet, it won't be until the new bearing carrier is fitted.

The springs are aftermarket sparco efforts.

View from the strut top

and the drivers side

Notice anything? yes the dampers are different. Flat on the drivers allen key on the passenger. The passenger side is correct.

Here is some pics of the old rubber and the top mount

the bush is conical, its meant to be parrallel

top mount plate

The car is much better now. Alan will give the rundown on how the drive is now when he gets online.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:09 pm

Well he was over today and we replaced the fractured bearing cup. So thats no longer a problem. Much better and a lot safer now. The steering has gotten considerably lighter as a result.

The drivers side needs doing but we need to source another top mount before riskign it. When that sides done the front engine will be perfect.

I bolted the front middle engine mounts bracket back onto the gearbox properly today so that no longer jingles about.

We also removed the re-circ dump valve and fitted the atmospheric dump valve, a lot louder so hes happy.

The brakes need bled desperately.

I took pics but webspace problems means I can't stick em up yet.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:07 pm

heres the old top mount after I chipped the rust away

as you can see it has been holed by rust, just as well a new one was fitted!

These pics show the new bearing cups,

Alan's neddy hand

new and old beside each other, its a bit broken to say the least

and ta-da! right to left, new top mount, new top rubber, new bearing cup, new bearing and old gear, looks really scabby the old stuff

A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:05 pm

"neddy hand" LOL

yep looks a bit of allright i must say!

got the sounds in 2day Cool even though it was pissin down with rain, sleet and snow! Sad but alls well Very Happy and the car is now ready for sound proofing. got the headunit in in the nick of time as it started to snow real heavy and now theres a about 1 1/2" of snow, and now the car is safely tucked away out the cold and snow.

Next: windscreen and then sound proofing Cool
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:24 pm

lol@hand!
A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:26 pm

i know? how can sum1 hav a "neddy hand" Question

"seems a mystery to me" Rolling Eyes
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:28 pm

pmsl Laughing
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:34 pm

Well if a hand belongs to a known ned (like Alan), then you can logically say that it is a 'neddy hand', can you not?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:29 am

exactly, it looks like a neddy hand even if you didn't know the owner was a ned.
A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:49 pm

NED.................a wonder sumtimes, i really do! Confused Confused
A14LN C
Site Subscriber

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:29 am

Well chris is onj his way over 2 fit the NEW offside driveshaft for the car as it is now knocking so better change it me thinks!

i'll let u all no how we get on! Very Happy
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:57 am

Due to Alans legendry muppetness he lost the wheel nut key. When I got home he had found it so I made him drive over here for me to fit it.

Job went nice and smoothly so I can't moan.

New shaft on

Old shaft, well knackered

car is now a lot quieter and smoother.

he has also got some sounds, heres a pic. He can fill in the details.

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE