Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 gearbox & clutch change
andy-16v
Level 5 User

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:39 am

well we have to learn somwhere ...and a good way of knowing how it all goes together is by taking the bloody thing apart..........at least were doing it and not leting some asshole rip me of
And if the sunstrip is realy pissing u of well send me a retro strip and i will gladly replace it when the new screen comes..............until then Evil or Very Mad swivel Twisted Evil
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:50 am

oooh handbags!! Smile
andy-16v
Level 5 User

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:01 pm

Mad just pissed off ....had bad week dealing with wan**rs that think its funny to make me drive100+ miles..away from home at 3pm to reset a fkin mcb......or change a pocksey lamp..........or unblock their shithouse all because some fat bastard shit a sheep
huwwatkins
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:07 pm

mcb?
andy-16v
Level 5 User

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:30 pm

minature circuit breaker

C we all learn somwhere ....i teach electrics.....u lot teach mechanics.....im not the 1 takin the piss
Cool
Roger Red Hat
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:33 pm

Quote:
or unblock their shithouse all because some fat bastard shit a sheep

LOL!
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:37 pm

andy-16v wrote:
well we have to learn somwhere ...and a good way of knowing how it all goes together is by taking the bloody thing apart..........at least were doing it and not leting some asshole rip me of

well done mate ,thats a good point.i was talking to a friend of mine the other day ,he told me his unlucky story with the valver he had years a go the clutch went bang and he paid 700 quid to have it sorted .
did you have any quotes from any garages around you before doing the job?
would be nice if there were some pics as well
andy-16v
Level 5 User

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:06 am

Well dudes im back after the holiday period and ithink i've got a bit of catching up to do ..............we didnt manage to get the thing out on the first day because of 1. undoing the pwr stearing pump wasnt so simple , 2. the pin that locates the half-shaft/drivshaft didnt want to budge,i didnt realize it was a double pin..one inside the other , what an arse.
Next day drilled pins out and then seperated the drive-shaft.
Dahm ive forgoten how to get my pics.........
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:20 am

theres 2 tyopes of pins, the 2 pin effort and the single pin effort.

Sometimes they shift other times they dopn't. I have 1 jammed solid in the old hatches gearbox, so the inner CV joints still on the box, i cut the gaiter and yanked the shaft out to remove the engine.
andy-16v
Level 5 User

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:34 am

Yeh we thought of doing that .....but that was to easy...no,its all about finance....getting another gater etc...time factors etc...i know ive done things the long way but havent arf learnt alot
how do i get my pics on post again? dont seem to have attachment bar at the bottom anymore Crying or Very sad Cool
andy-16v
Level 5 User

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:54 am

Ok! engines out and i'm a happy bunny Very Happy
next;to seperate the box from the engine......no prob.........Hmmmm fair bit of oil inside......time to undo cover/diaphram not so easy cause instead of standerd bolts their bloody allen bolts.....so large flathead screwdriver wedged into the teeth of the flywheel to stop it turning,allen key and spanner used as a lever brut force and ignorance .......diaphram now off...slide off the clutch......its down to the rivets and in the bin.
noticed a few dark patches on the flywheel so light rub with some emery cloth....sorted.
time for the new clutch to go on........now if u havent got an aliment tool like me this job is a pain so beware
First tighten cover bolts finger tight only....centralize the clutch using a 5inch lenth of 18mm tube..then very slowly in a diagonal sequence tighten the bolts a bit at a time....i found out the hard way,that if u do it any other way the clutch will move and u wont get the box back on.
nice and tight.
now slip the new release bearing on locating the release fork under the clips. mine only had 1 clip the other had snapped off Crying or Very sad but it shouldnt matter cause when its all together the bearing will be pressed up tight to the diaphram.
Time to slide the box back on..............after the 5th attempt all back together Very Happy
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:47 am

if the engines out and you don't have an aligner just fit the clutch best you can it may just slid on. If not my patented technique is to get it on the studs at least secure the nuts then use all your might and squeeze you hands together over the cable bracket and the release fork and it slips together. I impressed Ben when I showed him this.
vince

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:45 am

sounds like a lot of hard work guys!
im in need of box replacement *cough* Smile

keep us updated and upload those pics!
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:12 am

bare in mind there are easier ways of doing it....when i say easier i mean less dramamtic than taking the engine out...u can lower it down below vince, which is the likely way to do it if u havent got the kit to remove the engine.
vince

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:17 am

that does sound a bit more simpler, the location im going to have the car on is quite pathetic really, so engine out is a nono
i think, with help, i could be able to do this, just have to wait for the project to arrive and we can see what i need to do!
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:48 pm

where are the pictures then? what sort of a project is this ???
andy-16v
Level 5 User

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:23 pm

i dunno mate,all the pics i had put on have all disappered,and now i dont seem able to put any on, will carry on with the report tommorrow hopefully if i have some time to myself Confused Cool

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE