Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Clio 2.0 F7R 710
stan
Gay Rights Activist

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:13 am

nothing yet....once ive ported etc, i will match the manifolds to the head
Winston16v
Level 3 User

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:59 pm

Excellent work!!!!! Your the F7R 710 master Cool
nova-turbo

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:19 pm

i like the idea of the transplant, but theres not much room between the valves, and the heads only alloy. and i once managed to melt 2 spark plugs when i had my megane. but its gunna be i nice little ego killer when you finish it. nice 1
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:21 am

whats the head being only alloy got to do with it? practically all modern heads are alloy...
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:38 am

theres no practically about it all heads are ally these days, most have been since the early 80's.
2 live

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:56 am

there int a right lot of room between the valves tho is there lol

good luck with the rest of the build mate

in the 3rd pic it looks like the chambers been modded slightly to allow for the valve clearance at the sides(maybe just the angle of the pic??).....wont the block need pocketing as well or at least a bit extra diggin out of the piston crowns if this is the case?
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:54 am

yes they are close, but no big deal..u can fit bigger still in there!

the F7R hes running has dished pistons so hes got plenty of clearance without any work needed...hes done the plasticine test.

but if u were to do it on a 1.8/willy u would need to open the pockets a bit...gulp.
stan
Gay Rights Activist

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:03 am

As JB says....meggy pistons are fine. Ive got 2.5mm of valve piston clearance with standard cam timing. was going to skim 1mm off to up the CR, but want to keep a bit of room to allow for advancing the inlet cam.

Will have pics of fully ported head up soon.....soon in a very loose sense of the word!!
2 live

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:14 pm

lol...il see how u get on .....wont be doin mine for a while lol..gotta weld the mini up n get the valver mock up eng/box in situ before i start rebuilding the 2.0 lol.......... could be some time tho lol
stan
Gay Rights Activist

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:29 am

http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs25&d=05165&f=DCP_0800.JPG

These arrived yesterday...the final parts in the jigsaw. to the left..R-Tuner http://fastchip.nl/main.php?lang=en this allows me to adjust the Renault fuelling and ignition maps to suit the new engine specification. and to the right, Catcams vernier pulleys. After much thought, these were bought. IMO they were the only option....they are the only proven product available. Kent and Piper are known to fail, and others havnt really been tested/proven

As some of you may know, i have been very busy over the last month with my dissertation for uni, so the F7R has taken a major shunt in progress. However, the uni work has to be in a week today, soits all systems go after that!

A brief rundown on wots left to do:

- About 2 hours finnishing the port work...namely actual finnishing of the surfaces
- Measure valve/piston clearances, to establish whether a beneficial head skim can be had
- If possible, get skim
- Rebuild Head
- Fit to block
- Manufacture a "open" side mount to allow easy cam timing
- Fit to car!

Then once its in, i can set the mapping using the R-Tuner shown above, and tweak the cam timing[/url]
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:36 pm

Dissertations suck don't they! I've only just got mine finished and I'm knackered, a good 6/7 months of graft has gone in to it as well!

But this will be worth waiting for when done Stan, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article!
MicKPM
Affiliate

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:02 am

Stan, on the issue of the engine "Side mount" could you not use a 19 16v front mount which bolts behind the altenator and connects to the front subframe? I believe some smaller lump Clio's used this very option as did the Meganes and if it's possible you could do away with the side mount altogether and use the standard pulley covers from a 19... if you wanted then on atall that is Wink

Mick

PS: Sorry if this option has already been looked at and binned for reasons unmentioned but I don't know the Clio's structure that well.
stan
Gay Rights Activist

Posted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:55 pm

Hi mate, i was thinking about this very option the other day! i havnt actually physically weighed it up, but i will asap. only thing that concerns me is that there is a known limited room around that area in the clio with the F7 series...hence why it wasnt fitted as standard. will let u know how i get on....
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:29 am

if you use that one you'll need to change th eother 2 as well, I know been there tried it.
MicKPM
Affiliate

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:57 am

Do you mean the gearbox mount or the rear mount Chris?

I think the majority of the side mount is removable anyway if it's like the Megane but that's what we did on Leanne's 19 with her 710 lump. We also had to extend the power steering resevoir pipes but that was mainly because the Megane's radiator is like twice the size of the 19's and they wanted to occupy the same space!
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:59 am

the clio subframe is a 5 item the meganes is a 19's essentially.

So if you try to use a mount from a 19 etc the engine will be pulled down so you need to use the other mounts from a 19 as well.

A 5's will fit better but the engine will still be at a funny angle unless you do them all.
MicKPM
Affiliate

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:16 am

Ah right, with you now! I didn't realise the Clio's had a multi part font subframe... that's interesting and maybe why Renault opted for the new side mount design. They should be pretty easy to find though seeing as there are so many 19's in breakers yards. We replaced all of Leanne's mounts for new ones which cost us just under £50
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:20 am

the side/top mount system is far superior tbh.

lower is fine if its solid mounted but for road use then top mounting is the way to go.

You have the weight of the engine going down, not at funny angles like the lower mounts.

Also makes pulling out the lump easy.
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:21 am

gunna have a look at it...but if u say uve been there and tried it may be easier for stan to just make the custom side mount...
MicKPM
Affiliate

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:27 am

Don't all Clio's have the side mount then or is it just the later models from around '96?

Again, forgive my stupidity... Never worked on a Clio before Embarassed
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:41 am

they all do.

I don't understand why he can't use it tbh as its part of the timing cover that acts as the mount.

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE