Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Project R
red19rt
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:43 am

Got new anti-freeze ready and waiting for me to give the system a good flush out and will fit an new thermostat while I'm at it.
You've got one of these diologys now don't you - fancy getting me the part number Wink

Quote:
i want to position the i.k by where the original intake is and feed it from the side of the fog light where you got that open space facing forward

Cunning plan - would be interested to see that - make sure you take photos!
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:47 am

just get one from motor factors or halfords....
red19rt
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:48 am

yeah probably be cheaper won't it?

Had a read of your tech article on changing the thermostat in a valver - is it fairly similar on the 1.8spi?

Not looked in my haynes manual yet, I suppose that would be a good start Rolling Eyes
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:53 am

dead easy, takes no time.

bring it over and I'll help you and you can buy me that lunch you owe me!

I have the jet washer to so we can fluch the rad properly, disslodge flies and crap as well.

I can also get you a thermostat cheaper than halfords.
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:37 am

careful he may talk you into lettin him try out his new hoist on ur car Wink
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:44 am

nah cannae be arsed using it at the mo, to cold and wet!
red19rt
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:43 am

Quote:
bring it over and I'll help you and you can buy me that lunch you owe me!

Cheers Chris - might take you up on that - it's akways easier to watch a master at work than try it yourself Laughing

Quote:
careful he may talk you into lettin him try out his new hoist on ur car

Your welcome to as long as you 'accidentally' put a valver engine in 'by mistake' Wink Laughing

Busy this weekend but maybe next - will let you know.
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:35 am

the one i ordered from ebay arrived today

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4519105042&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

and there seems to be no oil with it , (see now why its better to buy it from halfords ???? chris) Very Happy

i suppose your I.K came with the oil and you have sorted it out . now what am i going to do ??? pay another tenner to halfords and buy oil seperately?
red19rt
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:02 pm

The oil doesn't come with it, you'll need to get it separatley - fortunatley I had some spare from a K&N filter cleaning kit I bought a couple of years ago which came with oil and filter cleaner.

Can't remember how much it costs, you can no doubt get cheaper than the K&N stuff which will do the job just as well.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:24 pm

Well I have done about 9k miles with it and never oiled it and the cars still working. Watch me rush out to buy some expensive oil for it. But then again if it breaks then I'll fix it.

Although I did once spray wd-40 all over it.
stan
Gay Rights Activist

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:44 pm

Jonnyboy wrote:
careful he may talk you into lettin him try out his new hoist on ur car Wink

PMSL....i could just imagine!!
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:45 pm

hmmm whats the function of oil anyway ,does it prevent dust going into the manifold? or is it the water ?
ferk it i will stick it on without the oil anyway ,i cant pay a tenner for a small can of oil at the moment .
will do it soon and take pictures yeah .
cheers
red19rt
Site Subscriber

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:46 pm

yeah - you probably don't need it - I never had any on the mini for a year or so until I decided to get some as it was on offer.

Only really neccessary if you're driving in dusty conditions and let's face it it's so wet in this country there's not much chance of dust is there!
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:46 pm

Mark matey, thats cool next weekend will be fine.

The oil is there to prevent dust etc getting into the engine.
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:36 pm

i fitted mine today ,exactly the same as yours just to see how it works . somehow after fitting the i.k i tried to start up but it did not work even though the starter motor was turning .after a few attempts it finally started .i did not have the chance to drive it with the i.k on yet ,hopefully tonight .

Very Happy
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:43 pm

well the IK will have made no difference to the car starting unless you bumped something.
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:47 pm

i did have to hit the airbox housing with a hammer for a while ,dont ask me why .
whats happened there then?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:51 pm

I don't know, its your car matey!

Was it jammed or what?
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:20 pm

itsme just being fussy as ferk again i suppose,i just had my first offical ride in the car after the i.k .god ,it sounds good at 4k and over.

so what actually is happening than chris ?whats causing that lovely sound?

by the way i once again realised today ,thats not the best place to position a cone filter , there is heat coming from everywhere once the car heats up. coolant tank ,engine etc .
i will put the pictures of my master plan later on and you will see why i was hammering the airbox housing.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:24 pm

I keep meaning to seal mine off but due to laziness its not been done yet.

Like I have explained before the stock intake system is designed for quietness. Its there to cut out all of that noise which old grans etc don't like.

You should hear the induction sound on a proper engine.
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:36 pm

ok cheers for the info.
here is what i was hammering .i wanted to get that intake pipe underneath the airbox housing without cutting or damaging so that i would use the same pipe to relocate the i.k just behind the passenger side fog light

here is the new location i am aiming ,far away from radiator ,engine and coolant tank

so i am asking you now ,wise old scottish man . am i a genious or ferkin what ? Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE