Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Project Clio 16v
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:59 am

so its leaking from the stub? have you scraped the crap thats built up on it off?

you fit a new clutch cable?
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:06 am

Didn't fit a new cable, but I will do if you reckon that will be the cause. Where should the clutch bite after fitting a new one? Should it be about the middle?

I cleaned up the stub when I removed the housing and couldn't see anywhere it could leak from tbh. It's just strange the way it's leaking as before it was leaking just when the system was filled with water, then with everything re-fitted and re-sealed it was fine even with the engine running till I cam back from driving it. I'll probably remove it again to double check, and if it still isn't OK I'll try and get hold of a new housing.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:11 am

I doubt the housing is the problem.

Put a new clip on it.

new cable won;lt do any harm and yes abotu mid way.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:14 am

I'll try a new cable and nother clip. Would I be OK to use a jubile clip there or should I stick to the renault type, or does it make any difference?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:18 am

well if your not using a jubilee clip theres your problem.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:23 am

lol, I am using a jubilee clip, but wasn't sure if I was supposed to or not as I think it was one of the other renault clips (that you squeeze with big pliers to remove) on there before. I've tried a few different jubilee clips and it still won't stop. I'll have another gander at it tomorrow, though I'm not sure if I'll have any brainwaves as I've tried a few things and it just keeps leaking.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:41 am

is the hose ok?
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:11 pm

I think so, I've had a look at it a few times to check and there are no holes or splits in it as the water seeps out the end of the hose. I'll check tomorrow but I think it might be that the end of the hose is slightly flared out if you know what I mean, so that it doesn't create a seal with the lip of te stud (that might make no sense, but I know in my head what I mean, lol)

The other thing I noticed was that a little water seemed to be seeping out of the top sensor on the thermostat housing. There was water there anyway and I didn't spill and onto it so I think it must have leaked out there. Could this suggest too much pressure building up in the system? or am I just havering shite?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:21 pm

probably worrying over nothing.

The hose you need to make sure the clips up as close to the flared part of the stud as possible.

Tighten the sensor a touch.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:16 am

well, refitted the hose for about the 100th time and used a bt of sealant round te end and it's holding out, though I'm not sure for how long.

I left the car running for a good while on the drive to see if the fan would kick in and it wasn't having any of it. The temp gauge on the dash was showing it climbing a couple of notches above the 2/3 mark on the gauge and the fan still hadn't cut in. I tried bridging the multiplug on the fan to see if it was faulty and it worked fine when I did that. What's likely to be stopping it cutting in as the temperature rises? I know it cut in fine before as I checked when I bought it.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:23 am

dodgy sender, but next time let it heat up a bit more and see if it kicks in.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:26 am

ok, will do. Where does it usually kick in? I had tought it was about the 2/3rd ususally from what I had read before somewhere but wasn't 100% sure.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:44 am

some are bang on 2/3's some go a bit above it.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Anyway, today I also re-fitted the passenger side wing, headlight and the front bumper wich I had removed when doing the work as I wanted to see how much damage there was unerneath.

When I got the car the bonnet wasn't on right as it apeared to be higher on one side than the other and the headlights were at slightly different angles etc, so all in all it didn't look great. I fanied about for ages today with the bonnet and lights and I now have then pretty much looking OK. From the front it looks spot on but the bonnet has a gap of about 2cm from the wing on the drivers side and only about 1cm from the win on the passenger side. Also, the only way I could manage to get it looking OK meant that you really need to slam the bonnet to shut it as the catch doesn't line up with te latch, but when I moved the latch then the bonnet went totally out of line. Still needs a bit of adjustment to sort these issues, but I'm quite pleased it's possible to get the car looking as it shoul with a bit of fiddling.

Now all I need to do (hopefully) is refit the exhaust from the end of the centre section back (just before the almost u-bend in the exhaust) as it's blowing at the join, sort the clutch biting point, get the steering column welded and sort out the fan.

I may then have a go at sanding down, smotting and re-spraying the rear arches - but I've never done any spraying so i'm 50/50 about giving it a go at the moment.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Finished off getting all the bodywork lined up properly the other day and tbh I'm well pleased as it's so much better than when I bought it. I had to use a drill to bore out some of the mounting holes for the bumper and passenger headlight as the panels they mount of have been pushed back fractionally in the accident.

However, this bloody coolant leak is back Evil or Very Mad but it's in a different place this time!!! I took the car out for a spin and to get it warmed up and then when I got back on the drive the temp was going just above 2/3rd mark on the temp gauge and I wanted to see if the fan would cut in but the temp then dropped slightly without the fan kickin in, so I got out to have a look and there was water dripping onto the gearbox. Tbh I don't know where it's leaking from this time but it's a similar area to before, but dripping from lower down somewhere. I didn't have time to check where it was from as I had to go off to work but I'll have a gander tomorrow - it's just annoying that it's leaking again and from a different place.

Also, when out driving it I have realised the handbrake if crap as it rolls back on really steep slopes, so I'll have a look in the haynes and see what can be done.

Tomorrow I'm going to crack on with a few things:

1)Get the exhaust sorted as it's blowing and knocking a bit
2)Fit a rocker gasket if I can get one as I'm having a bit of trouble finding anywhere with them in stock
3)Clean up the engine with a new steam cleaner my old man bought yesterday
4) Have a look at the handbrake
5) Grease up the sliders on the front calipers - anyone got any suggestions as to what grease to use?

As a further thing to add to my list of problems I'm worried there might be a leak from the oil sump gasket. There is some oil on one of the corners of the sump, but it doesn't look to be running down the sump if you know what I mean. There are a few wee bits like this on the back of the sump as well though Sad It has also worried me a touch as there is some oil down the side of the sump between the gearbox and block which I had though was gearbox oil as there was gearbox oil leaking into the clutch area, but now I'm wondering if it could be engine oil.
friart
Level 3 User

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:39 pm

you need to chill out man! 8)

your gunna get a lot of problems :x

itl never drive as gud as when it was spanking new!

take your time and enjoy it
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:47 pm

friart";p="99726 wrote:

you need to chill out man! Cool

You speaketh the truth, lol.
friart
Level 3 User

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:14 pm

ye sorry i am pretty stoned tho!
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:22 am

mate bring it over and I'll sort ye out on it all.
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:27 am

lol, it's tempting chris but tbh I want to try and finish it off myself now that I have got this far if you know what I mean. If I keep getting stuck though I'll be in touch Wink
donsrno1
Level 10 User

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:09 pm

As some of you mihgt have seen I had some problems over the last week or so with the car refusing to start. It;s kind of got me a bit worried about the engine and I want to get a compression test done on the engine to put my mind at rest. I'll probably go down to halfords and get one tomorrow and hopefully all will be OK.

How exactly should a compression test be done? any links to how to do it or advice would be much appreciated.

My main priorities just now are to check the compression then sort out my continous coolant leak. I'm not sure of where it's leaking currently but I'll look into it once I've got some new oil in the engine and I am a bit happier running it up to temp. After that she should be pretty much good to go, a few bits and bobs to do but all in all not too bad (I hope).

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE