Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 A Tale of Three Renaults
Roger Red Hat
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:12 am

craking stuff, car is looking spanking.

i see you have a can of fosters! woudent be a job with out one eh!

whos the random blue shirt guy?
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:15 am

a neighbour coming out of his gate and the fosters was an after job done congratulatory drink supplied by my flatmate who conveniantly came home after the work was done . .
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:15 am

well today i picked up my ebay £67 ph1 16v chammy

first thing i need to do is get the spark plugs out and give them a good clean, the spark plug well is swimming in water, when i arrived at the old owners house, i popped the bonnet and u could see water on the rocker cover, popped the pastic cover and i could see water in the plug well, usual ph1 problem, i have a drain cover which fits to the strut brace and that will prevent that in the future.

got it started on a tow start, but it was misfiring like a bitch because of the water in the plug wells.

it has rust just starting to come thru on drivers side rear arch and the bonnet vent is showing signs of rust, again usual stuff on these cars

anyway its home now, need to clear my front garden again and get it in at some point very soon as the chammy has no tax.
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:23 am

and this afternoon, picked up my 17's for the hatch

I'll get better pics tomorrow in the light.
Roger Red Hat
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:27 am

Thats more like it!
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:34 am

sexy
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:30 am

here we go

better pic of the ph2 hatch with its nice new 17's

Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:12 am

woohoo looks niiice! Cool
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:34 am

Cheers Neal, Schakal & Roger Smile

right, the £67 ebay chammy:

firstly it was running rough as hell yesterday when getting it back home, when i got to the old owners place yesterday and popped the bonnet, you could see the water on the rocker cover so yeah had to be water in the plug well, the car started on a tow start but was badly misfiring.
so this morning took a look.
first took the battery off and stuck it on charge.
strut brace off and cambelt cover off to look for where the oil was leaking, appeared to be coming from the rocker cover, so plastics off, OMG, state of the HT leads!
they were coming to bits as i pulled them out of the rocker cover holes, surprised the thing ran at all!
next off with the HT lead plastic guide thingy and off with the rocker cover.

urrgh the plug well was a right mess, combination of oil, water and tissue paper, someone had rammed wads of tissue paper into the well to try to soak up the mess and had just left it there, so u can imagine the state of it.
the rocker cover gasket was focked too, yep right where the oil leak seemed to be coming from.
off with the old gasket and cleaned up the mating face, old t-shirt in the plugwell to soak up the gunk in there.

so whilst i let the t-shirt soak up the crap, took a look at the rest of the engine bay, discovered one of the live feeds from the battery was unplugged, this connected to the aftermarket alarm and in turn to the ECU, prolly why the poor thing would not start on the key.
connected it up.

out with the t-shirt and it had soaked up most of the gunk, cleaned the rest out and out with the spark plugs, major corrosion on the hex part where u screw them in with, the electrode itself thou was in good condition, car seemed to have been running spot on.

i had spare HT leads, plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm off the old white ph1, so in with those plugs, new gasket and rocker cover back on, back on with the guide thingy, HT leads on, rotor arm on, dizzy cap on and connected it all up.
checked the coolant, that was fine, checked the oil, hardly any in it.
topped it up with oil.
connected the battery back up and got deafened by the alarm, fuck its loud with the bonnet open lol.
turned the alarm off with the plip, 1 minute later, the alarm sets and locks the doors!
oooo thats cool i thought and then promptly got deafened again as the alarm went off, bonnet is not closed so the alarm trigger there set off the alarm.
disarmed it again and went to start the car, first time on the key and vroom, engine sounds sweet as a nut now and no misfires Smile

next job of the day was to put the spare wheel on as one of the ones on the car has a slow puncture, cleaned up my front garden and got the chammy in it, ready to get all the interior out of it and give it a bloody good clean!

I am quite happy with my £67 r19 16v chamade Smile
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:46 pm

bargain mate! looks really nice. i cant keep up with your plans and cars!
Gentle Ben
Site Subscriber

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:01 pm

Why can't I get Valvers this cheap! Hehe!
Fat Dave
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:38 am

i recognise them wheels Wink

they do look nice on your car mate.

i loved them wheels on my old 19, just a shame the car was thrashed within inches of its life, really gutted it was 4yrs of hard work and looking after it.

suppose thats what happens when a young lad gets a powerful car Crying or Very sad

heres a pic of what mine used to look like.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/rayman75/T31.jpg
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:17 am

yep, they are your old wheels, shame about your 19 althou he is talking now on RSC about putting another engine in it.
Fat Dave
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:59 am

i know he doesnt know what he wants, and then he bought a xr3i Confused what does the car look like with ph2 wheels back on it?? i recon it will be to low.
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:06 am

lol low is not the word, the front is not too bad but the back . . well u cant see the tyre as its under the arch but he does also have half his old engine in the boot as well as loads of other bits and pieces.
i would not like to take it over any speed bumps thats for sure.
simonds1
Site Subscriber

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:09 pm

what does ur hatch drive like with the 17's on Si? Improvement over standard wheels? Not really any difference?
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:19 pm

oh i can feel a difference Si, lol

it handles better as it goes and gets the power down better, more grip as they have brand new toyo proxies on the front.
i have more confidence in throwing it around the corners now its got its new rack and column and those wheels on Smile

its lost some comfort thou, u feel the bumps more but it is on lowered front springs too
simonds1
Site Subscriber

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:29 pm

Cool Very Happy
mals
Self Proclaimed Comic Genius

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:55 pm

Jammie git Neo, will have to come round and have a looky see after the wedding
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:52 am

aye pop round any time mals Smile
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:45 am

quick update - my ph2 hatch is now dead.
its MOT ran out today and it wont get through another one unless i wanna spend £500 on welding it up.

for that kind of money i can get another one in better condition with MOT already on it.

The hatch is going to be broken up, neal already has his eye on a few items lol, i am picking up another ph2 hatch next weekend (with the assistance of neal), its got a few problems with it (the one advertised in the for sale section of this site) but none of the rust issues my ph2 hatch has, stuff like the head gasket is on its way out (not a problem, i have a headgasket set here) and an engine mount gone (again not a problem as i have a new one sitting here too)

So the idea is to put the good stuff off my hatch onto that one, suspension, wheels, leather seats, exhaust system etc.
The engine will be going into the chammy as the chammys bottom end has gone (so that means none of the money i spent on that engine will go to waste Smile )

Then whatever is left of my current ph2 hatch will be available to buy by you guys.

some pics of the hatch i am picking up next weekend

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE