Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 nissan 200sx turbo brake work
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:10 am

my neighour has one of them its a t reg in green . nice motor really ,this fella knows quite a lot about cars.he used to work in garages before ,i helped (learned from him actually) him changing all 4 discs and pads on his car yesterday .what i found out is that,its really easy when you know what you are doing .it took him 3.5 hours to do the job ,i have done the driver side rear disc and pad change on my own after watching him doing the passenger side .it was really fun.
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:11 am

Try it on a rover 600.

Evil or Very Mad
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:16 am

pad and disc changes are one of those areas that are usually nice. They are generally quick, relatively clean easy jobs.

When you have drum brakes its more effort and when you have live rear axles with leaking halfshaft seals and the drums full of diff oil its a very messy process.

Brakes are a good place to know how to sort as garages price the jobs up something ridiculous.
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:27 am

i was talking to him about replacing the drums on my r19 with discs in the near future. but i realised i will need calipers as well .how does that work then chris .will i need a donor valver or can i just buy the calipers from gsf and stick them on easily?
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:29 am

Neal 19 16v wrote:
Try it on a rover 600.

Evil or Very Mad

i will never have another rover as long as i live neal ,i had a 214i p reg once , the cooling system and the engine is shiyt on those cars.
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:34 am

im not familiar with the cooling system on the 214, but even so I think i can quite safely say that the F7P 16v cooling system is worse, Chris will concur enthusiastically...
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:36 am

to convert the rt to rear discs the easy method is a 16V rear axle.

If you wish to convert your existing axle then you will need the discs, bearings, calipers and the bolt on caliper carriers. Then you would need to make new brake pipe for the rear axle but thats very easy.

Why bother when a 16V ios so cheap to buy?

I have to take issue with the whole 214 engine beign crap. The K series is indeed an engine with its faultsbut its a very good engine. There has been various chenges to the engine to make it reliable etc. Its a good engine, when its constructed properly it is very frugal in 1.4 guise. 104 bhp is not to be sniffed at for a 1.4 production engine.
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:39 am

yes the 16V cooling system is not what it could be. Bad not really after all it does prevent the engine seizing.

Could it be improved? Most certainly and it was when the engine finally made it to the megane etc.

Main prob with the 214 was incorrectly tensioned headbolts, they caused the head to float thus groovign the head allowing water leaks. Also many a headgasket was missdiagnosed because the inlet manifold gasket used to rupture and allow coolant straight into number 4 inlet port.
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:43 am

dont know much about F7P cooling system as i have a f3p and it works great really . sits on the second line after 7-8 mins of start up and goes on like that till i am trapped in a traffic jam . when it hits the 3 rd line the fan kicks in even though it doesnot seem to be cooling that much ,the engine manages o survive somehow with no water loss or anyting.

the rover 1.4 rover engine is manufactured by rover itself as far as i know ,while they are using a 1.6 honda engine on the 216 .the honda engined ones work perfectly but the 214 suffers from blown headgaskets .
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:43 am

i was told that some of the early problems they had with the K series engines were because the water ways were at an angle in the prototypes but when they went to production they were straight (or something along those lines), which is why noone could work out what was going on to begin with. Some sort of water erosion problem that was apparently.
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:48 am

i am still chasing for a valver chris ,just waiting for the right time ,money and the right chammy .
so the drums will stay as they are ,i did not know i would need a 16v axle ,i would not bother with it .
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:35 am

yeah the K series is rovers own engine availabe in 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 litre capacities.

1.4 then bored to 1.6 then stroked to 1.8.

The 216 with the hinda lump runs the SOHC honda 16v unit which isn't terribly good tbh.

Good engines the K series

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE