Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 PROJECT - 200bhp
jimbo
Level 7 User

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:20 am

ok, well at the moment the beast is pushing out about 160-165 at the flywheel. could be more, but doubt it. anyway heres the spec list so far of the engine mods;

1995 clio williams F7R 700 bottom end - fully rebuilt, with new rings, bearings, oil pump, the usual.
1994 19 16v F7P cylinder head - gasflowed (if u can call it that by the look of it!)
Kent Fast road camshafts.
ported inlet manifold
williams 4-1 exhaust manifold
scorpian striaght thru system inc decat
standard air box and element, with mssive 100mm feed pipe from bumper
Hill power 2litre stage 2 chip.
and a length of garden hose for the water pipe to the coolant bottle! LOL

i have been content with the power its putting out now, its plenty quick enough for driving everyday. cracking torque output. pulls nice and hard from 2k upwards. but if theres an oppurtunity to make it quicker for not a lot dosh, then id be willing to have a bash.

i had considered going the route of throttle bodies, but the extortionate price for the whole thing outweighs the benefits imho. a fully working kit from webber or jenvey will cost about 2grand all in. so that was a no no.

as i like to tinker and build things from nothing i stumbled across a few sites from the states where theyv developed home build TB systems for as little as 3-400pounds. and they net 15-20bhp gain from it. cant be bad can it.

anyway to cut a long story short, the cheaper TB route employs the use of motor bike carbs or throttle bodies. these can be had for 50-60quid off ebay. for a fuel injected car like the 19 16v the fuel injected TB route will be best. a common donor of its throttle bodies is the suzuki gsx-r 600/750/1100. they come in 4 indivdual TB's with butterflies ranging from 36mm upwards. for the 2litre engine, ive selected to use the 42mm throttle plates. this will hopefully enable the engine to be torquey low down, rather than ballistic in the high rev range a larger TB would offer.

my plan is to use a set of these TB's fabricate a custom manifold of tuned length to give best drivabilty. im also considering using the stock ECU and sensors as base to use a piggy back ECU system. this will hopefully keep the costs down to a reasonable level.

at present im only at the theoretical stage, but hopefully in the next few days, ill secure a set of gsx-r TB's and begin to plan out the inlet manifold setup.

in the mean time heres a few links to a few sites showing DIY TB systems;

http://homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/itb/index.html

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=942528

http://www.sdsefi.com/tech.html

jimbo

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE