Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Project Pratmobile
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:22 am

This project started due to the demise of the engine in my mate Chris’ Capri. He was given it free and used/abused it for a bit over a year before the engine (1600 Kent) finally died. We were on our way to the Formula Student competition near Leicester this summer when it started to overheat on the motorway. We slowed down but the temp continued to go off the scale. Stopping on the hard shoulder, there was found to be virtually no coolant in it. We threw a bit more water in, but that soon boiled off too. It started pinking while driving slowly along the slow lane to get off the motorway. Then it really started pinking like a bean can with some nails in being shaken under the bonnet. At this point we could go no further, the engine had had enough and we stopped on the hard shoulder. There was the unmistakable smell of burning death surrounding the engine, oil dribbling out etc. Taking the cap off the radiator and smelling inside left no doubt. The AA was called to give us a lift back home. Upon arrival, a compression test revealed 50/50/70/110 psi LOL and it was declared well and truly terminal. We think the water pump dying was the root cause. Well, that and general neglect Rolling Eyes

Here's 2 muppets, Jev and Chris, on the hard shoulder of the northbound M1, where we waited for a couple of hours for the AA man:

Last edited by Neal on Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:24 am

Fast forward a couple of weeks and Chris tells me he has just bought a 2.9L Granada Scorpio off ebay for £62 and Project Pratmobile began. We played about with the car for a bit, sliding round roundabouts etc (RWD), but it had a gearbox oil seal leak, so ragging it too much was a bad idea. Although we didn’t need the gearbox, destroying it could take the engine with it, which would put a very premature end to plans. The engine is an Essex V6, very similar to the 2.8 version except for a few (important) details. Basically though, parts from a 2.8 Capri are compatible to fit the 2.9 engine in.

Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:33 am

First thing to be done was some modifications to the base Capri. In fairness, and I don’t think Chris will mind me saying this, the car itself is not cosmetically the mintest example ever seen, but it is structurally sound and rust free where it counts, so is a good base for modification. At one point, while not working on the car, a woman walked past and asked if we knew whom it belonged to. Chris said it was his and she asked if he wanted to sell it. He said no and she replied “it’s only for banger racing” Very Happy

We visited a man in Oxford with mad professor hair, wearing Bermuda shorts and Caterpillar boots (honestly!) who runs ‘Capri sport’ and is the Chris H of Capris (minus the rudeness Razz), After taking us for a spin in one of his Capris during which he went sideways round the roundabout in front of Tescos and overtook in oncoming traffic, he sold Chris a big box of custom brake and suspension bits.

Being a 1600, Chris’ Capri had drum brakes on the back etc, so these would have to go, and the front brakes beefed up. On went some 285mm discs for the front with Ford Mondeo/Cougar calipers. Rear discs are 200mm, and will have the rear calipers off the Granada. A brand new master cylinder was put on, and mated with a 3.0L Capri servo. This baby will stop well enough, that’s for sure. Getting it moving will be the main problem!

The entire rear axle was changed for a 2.0 Laser version, as the diff ratio is apparently the best fun to mate with 2.8/2.9 engines without being silly. Axle bracing was also added, as standard the only thing bracing the axle side to side is the leaf springs. The front struts and rear dampers were swapped and all suspension poly bushes were replaced throughout.

Unfortunately I didnt get any picture when this was all done, but ill get some next time were working on the car to show the goodies...
schakal
Spammer

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:58 pm

will see you on barry boys soon i believe mate Laughing
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:37 pm

no way buddy, this car is going to be a fucking beast on the inside, but standard, slightly tatty and unassuming on the outside.

It's the Antithesis of barry!
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:32 am

coool...i like it...black as well. i almost bought a black one...would have been a money pit tho...well more of a money pit than a 19 lol.

has he got the engine in yet?
Neal
Forum Moderator

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:35 am

yeah...well.. sort of. We did it at the weekend but its not right. Pics when i get in tonight.

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE