Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Stupid question
MicKPM
Affiliate

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:33 am

As above, tis a stupid question but wanted to ask:

What the hell does the Charcoal canister do and how does it effect the running of your car?

many thanks for entertaining one's stupidity!

Mick
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:47 am

its a canister fiulle dwith charcoal.

HC's (petrol fumes) cling to the carbon, The canister is piped into both the inlet manifold and the fuel tank.

The side which goes to the inlet manfiold has a solenoid on it to allow the fumes into the inlet manifold.

Thsi gets rid of the fumes preventing polution.

Its normally down under light load etc. It basically enrichnes the mix at predetermined conditions.
MicKPM
Affiliate

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:51 am

So if it was disconnected and removed would that cause major problems?

I only ask as it's currently sitting in a place where i'm hoping to relocate the power steering resevoir to and wondered if it could be removed without some nasty knock on effect to running or performance?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:54 am

bin it if you want. Plug the line from the tank and the other to the solenoid, leave the solenoid connected though.
MicKPM
Affiliate

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:59 am

the soleniod is currently on and plugged in and i've stuck a littel filter on the end of the "CAN" end and it now makes a sucking/popping noise at revs. Just wanted to be sure it wouldn't shaft the running of the car.

Cheers - If you drank i'd be buying!

Mick
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:44 am

block it off mofo, will cause it to run lean with a filter on.

Hang on you have just made yourself an ecotek! Laughing

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE