Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Intermittant Starting Problems
Christfolous

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:53 am

I have an intermittant problem with my Renault 19 Chamade (1992, 276,000km). I am experiencing difficulties to keep the car started when starting from cold. Usually it will start without problem, but will stall after around 60 seconds, the revs will drop even if I'm giving it fuel as if it isn't getting enough. If the engine does stop, then I have to wait for about a minute or so to be able to start it again, otherwise it will crank, but without firing.

This will happen on a number of occasions (i think the most I've got up to is about 10 or so) before it will fire, and then run without dying. (I'm guessing that its because the car has warmed up enough by then)

I've had a few people look at it, but they have not been able to identify the problem. Also, what is frustrating is that it doesn't always happen and so it makes it difficult to figure out whats wrong.

I've seen posts here mentioning the crank angle sensor, but this seems to point more at the car not actually firing rather than firing, but dying afterwards, so would that still be one of the possible causes.

Once the car is warmed up, it runs and starts without problems, this only happens when starting cold.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris
Wicked Neo
FCS Event Manager

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:23 am

is this a 16v chamade ?

could try changing the coolant temp sensor (CTS)

its quite a common fault for the problem you are experiencing
Christfolous

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:49 pm

I should have given more detail.

Its a 19 GTS Chamade (1.4 Energy E6J Motor)
bbracer16valver
Retroholic

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:57 pm

this CTS u are talking about would it not make the fan come on? ive wired a switch in he car for now, because it wouldnt switch on by itself
Dan
Site Subscriber

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:05 pm

The switch for the fan is in the side of the radiator on the drivers side.

the CTS neo is on about tells the ECU what temperature the water is, and it then works out how much fuel to put in for the best burn.
bbracer16valver
Retroholic

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:06 pm

ok what do i fix then?
JB
Mr Quoter-vator

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:53 am

but he says its a carbed version (E6J hopefully i got that the right way round and its not the inj model :S )

so surely the carb'd versions dont have ECU and CTS

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE