Retro-Renault Archive Forum Index  
SEARCH THE ARCHIVE FORUMS  •  Log in
Hello, you are currently browsing to Retro-Renault Archive which is a copy of our old forum. You cannot post replies in this forum. Please click here to go to the active website. 
 Indicators gone wonky!
Lindsey
Level 10 User

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:12 pm

My mate's got herself a 1.4 Megane. When the passenger side indicator is on (and she's cornering) the tail lights flash on/off in the off/on sequence of the indicator. She tells me the dash lights also dim or go off. I'm thinking earth but the dash lights are confusing me a little. Any ideas?

Cheers guys.
Xvisor
Level 7 User

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:25 am

For the taillights i'd definately have to say earth it's a very very common problem on phase 1 megane's. Just make the earthings nice and clean put a nice pressure ring in between so it won't start failing again later. This probably has to be why the dashlights also go wonky. Just fix the taillight earthings and see if the dash problem persist if not then go start searching for that.
Lindsey
Level 10 User

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:03 pm

Cool, cheers.
Lindsey
Level 10 User

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:27 pm

Rolling Eyes Doh! It's not the earths or the connector at the back end! Looks like the problem's at the stalk!
valver
Level 9 User

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:50 am

has she replaced any light bulbs recently?
Chris H
Forum Moderator

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:26 am

its the rear connector blocks to the lights, common problem they are shorting out.

shite megane issue, ambers is the same as is every other megane I have seen.
Lindsey
Level 10 User

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:34 pm

She hasn't changed any bulbs recently she only just got the car.

Chris - she accidentally knocked the stalk while the blinkers were on and it suddenly went almost normal again (the tail lights came back on but the dimmed slightly in time with the indicators). That's what made me think it might be a dodgy connection in the stalk??? What do you think?

I had the connector block off, a couple of the wires seemed a bit loose compared to the others but otherwise it seemed fine and wiggling the wires didn't make any difference.
Xvisor
Level 7 User

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:09 pm

I don't have the wiring in my head here but is a very common problem as stated and the stalk don't come near the wiring of the taillights so the stalk can't really be the problem of the taillights dimming while you turn on the indicators (often once side is worse then the other side). But is the problem is less worse now you probably made the contacts a bit better while taking it apart.
valver
Level 9 User

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:42 pm

i know this probably isnt what the problem is,but i put the wrong rear brake light bulb in my old car and the front lights wouldnt come on,took the keys out and the engine would still be running,push the brakes and the side lights would come on,the list goes on. . . and it was all just because i put the wrong bulb in.
an auto electrican told me most of the times car lights go wonky is because of a wrong bulb.
Lindsey
Level 10 User

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:48 pm

Cheers for that. I'll get her to check the bulbs on the off chance.

Jump to:   

SPIDER ARCHIVE